The mission of the environmental research laboratory is to research, develop practical, sustainable and cost effective solutions and systems to everyday environmental related issues using a multi-disciplinary approach in the sub-region and Africa as a whole. It is also to train and pass on knowledge to students in this field.
The outlined vision for the environmental research laboratory under SSSRI are:
• To design and implement scientific and engineering systems to solve water and waste treatment related issues in the sub region.
• To gather adequate and accurate spatial information for a sustainable water resource management in the sub-region.
• To use numerical modeling and satellite data to monitor air pollution and related issues in the sub-region.
• To develop an effective monitoring and evaluation system for environmental management in the sub-region (network of ground –based observation system).
• To research, design and develop innovative and sustainable systems to tackle solid waste environmental issues in the sub-region and Africa.
• To research and develop practical remediation methods and techniques for desolate and polluted lands in Africa with the aid of Geographical Information and remote sensing.
• Numerical modeling of the climate and impacts of the climate change in the sub-region.
• To use and Analyze Satellite data for environmental monitoring in the sub-region.
• To equip students with knowledge on occupational health and safety strategies and management skills.